Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review "Twice Bitten"

Title: Twice Bitten, (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
Author: Chloe Neill
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Published: July 6th 2010 by NAL Trade


Merit, Chicago’s newest vampire, is learning how to play well with others. Other supernaturals, that is. Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene—and to spy for the vamps while she’s at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan’s offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission.

Merit must accept the assignment, even though she knows that she’ll probably regret it. And she’s not wrong. Someone is gunning for Gabriel Keene, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She’ll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals—not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries old master vampire.



*This review might contain spoilers!*

The shifters are in town for a convention to decide on which side they´ll stand in the imminent war. Gabriel Keene, the Apex we met in the previous book asks Cadogan house for help: he wants Merit and Ethan working security during the convention. But someone is out for his life and Ethan and Merit get sucked right into the world of the shifters.

The story starts right after the events of the last books and takes up speed fast. The book is really action-packed and fast-paced and gives Merit only few moments to catch her breath. I really liked how we get to know much more about the shifters, their culture, political stucture and motives. It´s good to se their POV for the strained relationship between vampires and shifters. Also, the members of the Keene family and Berna are a wonderful addition to Chicago´s supernational community. I´m really looking forward to reading more about them.

One of the things that made me like Chole Neill´s books so much is how she builds up sexual and romantic tension between Ethan and Merit. I love Merit and her snarky, sarcastic comments and her playful banter with Ethan. Thank god we get more of the two of them in this book! There´s a lot of change happening in their relationship because we finally get a glimpse of Ethans softer, sweeter side. The moment they share together is well written and exactly at the right point of the story. I hope I don´t give away too much if I tell you however that there´s no HEA in sight - yet, because soon enough, Ethan is his old guarded and calculating self and a new rival comes to town and puts a strain on Merit´s and Ethan´s relationship.
One of my favorite scenes was the girls´ night out. Merit´s role in the Cadogan House changes, she´s more integrated, as she seems to have come to terms with her being a vampire. And after the events of a training session with Ethan, she´s finally won a lot of sympathy in the whole house.

Chloe Neill´s Chicago is poulated with so many wonderful characters that I´m always a little sad when some of them are less prominent in a book. This time, I really felt we didn´t get to see enough of Mallory and Catcher (such a shame, Catcher´s really... you know :) hawt).

Chloe Neill´s books always make laugh, keep me glued to the pages and are over much too fast. I really enjoyed this book and can only recommend it to all the lovers of Urban Fantasy who like well-written, funny stories with a lot of action, great characters and the right dose of romance/drama.

4.5 of 5 points from me!

4 comments:

Midnyte Reader said...

I definitely want to read this!

Christine said...

You´ll have a great time reading this i believe! Oh, and by the way, I started reading Wicked Game! :)

Katy said...

I am reading the first book in this series, btw your background is awesome I love it.

Emily said...

Great review! I have this book on my Kindle as a reward for getting reviews written and I'm so excited to read it since I loved the first two!