Friday, July 30, 2010

New Teaser for Shadowfever

Karen Marie Moning has just released another tiny snippet from her next book, Shadowfever, which is due January 2011.

“You killed my sister!” The dark lake in my head begins to boil. I hear rustles behind me, leathery wet sounds and I whirl. The freaks that killed my sister are taking advantage of the distraction and trying to leave.

Not a chance in hell. This is what I’ve been living for. This moment. My revenge. First the ones that killed her. Then the one who delivered her to them.

I lunge for them, screaming my sister’s name.

I slice and rip and tear.

I begin with my spear and end with my bare hands.

I fall on them like the beast-form of Barrons. My sister died in an alley with these monsters working on her and now I know it wasn’t fast. I can see her, white-lipped with pain, knowing she’s going to die, scratching a clue into the pavement. Hoping I’ll come, afraid I’ll come. Believing I could succeed where she failed. God, I miss her! Hatred consumes me. I devolve into vengeance, I embrace it, I become it.

When I finish there are no pieces larger than my fist.

I’m shaking, gasping, covered with bits of flesh and gray matter from smashing their skulls.

I double over and hit the pavement, puking. I puke until I dry-heave then I dry-heave until my ears ring and my eyes are stinging.

I don’t have to look behind me to know the street is empty. My sister’s murderer is gone.

I finally got what I came to Dublin for.

I know who killed my sister.

I curl in a tight ball on the cold pavement and cry.


Wow. Looks like it´s going to be one hell of a ride!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I can't wait to rad it!! Thanks for the heads up :-)

Paula Calvanico said...

Wow, she put a spoiler in there! I mean I had a hunch that Barrons had a beast side but now I know. Can't wait for this one!

Paula
Tomes Devotee

Darkeva said...

Hey Christine,
Great review :-) Larissa's Life profiled your blog this week, as well, and I'm glad I found it--I've already bookmarked some of your reviews to read later :-)

Have a good weekend,
Darkeva