Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cover Matters

Here are a few covers that are really gorgeous:

She is the last of her kind...

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her.

Exquisitely romantic, this companion to the highly praised Graceling has an entirely new cast of characters, save for one person who plays a pivotal role in both books. You don’t need to have read Graceling to love Fire. But if you haven’t, you’ll be dying to read it next.


I really love this cover: the colors, the font and the gown! :) That´s one of the books that makes it to my TBR pile just because of the cover.


One minute Sara's bored on vacation in Istanbul. The next, she's unearthed a flying carpet that cleverly drags her to the mysterious Island of the Djinn—or genies. By her side is Amesh, a hot boy she's starting to love but doesn't yet trust. When Amesh learns the secret of invoking djinn, he loses control. He swears he'll call upon only one djinn and make one wish. The plan sounds safe enough. But neither Sara nor Amesh are any match for the formidable monster that that swells before them. It hypnotizes Amesh, compelling him to steal Sara’s flying carpet—the ancient Carpet of Ka—and leave her stranded.

Discovering the Carpet of Ka has sparked a new path for Sara, one that will lead her to battle creatures even deadlier than djinn. In this fight, Sara can save mankind, herself, or the boy she loves. Who will she be forced to sacrifice?


This one is simply cute! :) It also helps that I always wanted to have a flying carper when i was a child (I blame Disney´s Aladdin for that!).


Someone’s been a very bad zombie.

Super-smartie Kate Grable gets to play doctor, helping out her high school football team. Not only will the experience look good on her college apps, she gets to be thisclose to her quarterback crush, Aaron. Then something disturbing happens. Kate finds out that the coach has given the team steroids. Except . . . the vials she finds don’t exactly contain steroids. Whatever’s in them is turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless, flesh-eating . . . zombies.

Unless she finds an antidote, no one is safe. Not Aaron, not Kate’s brother, not her best friend . . . not even Kate . . .

It’s scary. It’s twisted. It’s sick. It’s high school.


:) I really had to laugh when I read the blurb. A Zombie football team, really? But the cover is actually intriguing, even though I don´t seen the connection between the story and the cover yet. I guess we have to wait and see!

Here are two brand new covers that I´ve just discovered:

When Jill, a competitive high school fencer, goes with her family on vacation to the Bahamas, she is magically transported to an early eighteenth century pirate ship in the middle of the ocean.

Sounds a little bit more like fantasy to me, but who doesn´t love pirates? :)












There´s not a lot info about this one yet except that it is released January 2011. The first two covers in the series were a bit alike. This one certainly stands out. I like the blueish colors. Hopefully that´s the final one!











And now to a rather serious matter: it´s been done once again. Whitewashing. Maybe you´ve heard about the discussion and controversy about "Magic under the Glass". Well, now Cindy Pon´s book "Silver Phoenix" has gotten a new cover.
Here are the original one and the new one in comparision:



















I don´t even know where to start. How can you put a cover like the second one on a novel that is set in ancient China? I don´t know how you feel about that, but I read book about werewolves, Vampires, Shapeshifters and other supernatural creatures. I don´t give a s**t wheter the main character is Asian, a person of color or whatever. Whitewashing is discriminating and racist. Period. I´m strictly against it because it is just wrong.
Stuff like that seriously pisses me off (sorry for the language).

4 comments:

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog. When Larissa showed me your new design, I instantly LOVED it!

I think these covers are great. I especially like Bad Taste in Boys

Christine said...

Your design is also really great. Larissa is really talented!

Bad Taste in boys sounds awesome. As soon as I saw it, it was on my TBR!

BTW, I posted my first When you´re not reading post! :)

Katy said...

I love that Fire cover so much, and I had never heard of Steel before now.

Unknown said...

Great post! I hadn't heard of most of these and just added Steel to my TBR list!