Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Review: Bloodshot

Bloodshot

Title: Bloodshot (Cheshire Red Reports #1)

Author: Cherie Priest

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Published: January 25th by Spectra

Blurb:

VAMPIRE FOR HIRE
Raylene Pendle (AKA Cheshire Red), a vampire and world-renowned thief, doesn’t usually hang with her own kind. She’s too busy stealing priceless art and rare jewels. But when the infuriatingly charming Ian Stott asks for help, Raylene finds him impossible to resist—even though Ian doesn’t want precious artifacts. He wants her to retrieve missing government files—documents that deal with the secret biological experiments that left Ian blind. What Raylene doesn’t bargain for is a case that takes her from the wilds of Minneapolis to the mean streets of Atlanta. And with a psychotic, power-hungry scientist on her trail, a kick-ass drag queen on her side, and Men in Black popping up at the most inconvenient moments, the case proves to be one hell of a ride.

My Review:

Bloodshot is the first book by Cherie Priest I´ve read, even though I have heard a lot about her other books, especially Boneshaker.

I thouroughly enjoyed reading Bloodshot. Even though Cherie Priest does not invent the vampire new ability-wise, it is Raylene´s personality and charater that make her stand out that much.Her neurotic and obesssiv compulsive behavior is hilarious. Still, she more than capable of taking care for herself, her, well, unique charactersaves her from more than one precarious situation. That´s why she has become something like a legend in her line of work and has allowed her to horde tons of cash and other riches.

Little does she know what she gets herslf into when she accepts a job that starts out more interesting than her usual ones.

The rest of the characters is, aside from Raylene´s character, one of the things that made me like this book so much. Cherie Priest does not picture her vampire as incredibly powerful beings with god-like abilities like it´s common in other book featuring vampires. This gives the story a very interesting take. Ian, her client, is actuallly blind. The only other blind vampire I know is Wrath from the BDB, but those two have nothing in common! As mentioned, I really liked that kind of vulnerability Cherie Priest added to his character.

Then there is Adrian. He/she (I share Raylene´s confusion about his gender) is totally kick-ass. But then again, what else do you expectfrom a former Navy SEAL and current drag queen. His two side are so incredibly contradictory I can only admire Cherie Priest for creating a character like him/her.

Together with Ian´s ghoul and guide Cal, they form partnership of convinience to investigate the organisation behind the vicious attack, abduction and torture that led to Ian´s blindness.

During the whole investigation, there are tons of action including break-ins, explosions, government conspiracies, Men in Black and pursuits.

My verdict:

I enjoyed every single minute I spent reading it. Bloodshot is a great blend of action, witty dialoges or in that case monologes and one liners by Raylene and likeable, unique characters.

I would totally recommend it to everyone who loves a good Urban Fantasy book with a witty heroine.

4 stars for Cherie Priest´s Bloodshot.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have yet to read a book by Cherie, but this sounds awesome!

Great review hon! =D

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh so glad to hear you enjoyed every moment here. :) I want to get this one as it is, but your great review makes me anxious for it. :)

Midnyte Reader said...

I love that cover. It would make me pick it up. The premise sounds fun. Glad you enjoyed it!

Darkeva said...

Awesome review, Christine! I'm going to post my review soon but I'm glad to hear that you liked it because I'm enjoying Raylene's character so far as well :-)

D

Mirjam said...

Great review, Christine! I haven't read anything by Cherie Priest (yet), but now I'm sure tempted to change that!

Anonymous said...

ساندویچ پانل سقفی
نصب ساندویچ پانل
قیمت ساندویچ پانل
انواع کانکس

Fan Girl 22 said...

Appreciate youu blogging this