Monday, October 18, 2010

Interview: Felicity Heaton

Today, I´m having the pleasure of welcoming yet another author on my blog, Felicity Heaton, author of “Her Dark Angel” and many more steamy and sexy paranormal romance novel! Please give it up for Felicity!

 

me-miyazaki

Welcome Felicity and thank you so much for stopping by for this interview!

picDetailherdarkangel For all my readers who haven´t heard about “Her Dark Angel” yet, could you sum up the story in your own words?

Her Dark Angel is a story about a wronged woman, Serenity, who is also a witch, and a rather gorgeous but dark angel, Apollyon, who hears her pain and answers her call. He wants to exact revenge upon her ex for the hurt he’s caused her by obliterating the guy, but Serenity convinces him to back down to something a little less end-of-the-world! Working with Apollyon to gain her revenge, Serenity finds herself falling for the wicked angel, and finds an escape from the pain in her heart, but she has her doubts about loving an angel. She isn’t the only one falling in love though, and Apollyon does his best to convince her that he really is the man for her.

There‘s a message in the story, and it’s that no matter how bad things get, or how much someone hurts you and how much you want revenge, things will get better. There’s always someone else out there who will love you, and will treat you right, even if he is a dark angel!

(You want to know more about the book? Wait for my review coming tomorrow!)

Serenity, the female lead character seems to really love Paris. Have you ever been there yourself and share her love? Or did you do a lot of research online?

I have been to Paris once before, and I actually got engaged there, up at the church of Sacre Coeur. I loved Paris. It was summer when I went, hot and balmy, and I was utterly in love. Maybe I put a piece of me in Serenity and that’s what is shining through… although, my husband isn’t exactly a dark angel out to wreak havoc!

Revenge is one of the key topics of your book, and I guess, every woman out there who has been dumped and cheated on by a guy has had one or the other thought of revenge. What would you do to a guy like Edward if you had your very own angel of revenge at your disposal?

What wouldn’t I do! I don’t think I would be as nice as Serenity. I think I would probably take him up on his offer of tossing the worthless guy into the bottomless pit.

Do Fallen Angels have a special appeal for you or why did you choose to make them the leading creatures in your new series?

Apollyon isn’t really fallen. He lives in Hell because that’s where his duty is. It’s his responsibility to make sure that the Devil stays put and that everything is running smoothly down there. There is a fallen angel in the series though. Angels in general are interesting creatures and I really wanted to explore them. I had toyed with evil angels and good angels in Seventh Circle, a novel in my Vampires Realm series, and then I hit upon the idea for the Her Angel series, and saw a great opportunity to explore all sorts of angels and build a whole world for them, and I couldn’t resist.

picDetailherfallenangel The next book in the series is called “Her Fallen Angel”. Now, Apollyon and Serenity´s story seems to have come to an end, as there are new main characters in the next book. May we hope for another appearance of the two or will it be a totally independent story?

All of the stories in the Her Angel series do stand alone, but there is cross-over with the characters. Her Fallen Angel is the story of Lukas and Annelie, but Apollyon and Serenity are involved in it too as Lukas needs Apollyon’s help, not only to clear his name of a crime he didn’t commit, but to help convince Annelie that it’s alright to fall in love with an angel. At the end of Her Fallen Angel, we meet Einar, a hunter angel. His book is the third in the series, Her Warrior Angel.

Can you share a little teaser about “Her Fallen Angel”?

Sure! Her Fallen Angel is the story of Lukas, an angel accused of a crime he didn’t commit. He’s been banished from Heaven for the past three years, and in that time has grown close to a mortal woman called Annelie. Stripped of his wings after his appeal goes horribly wrong, Lukas is in Annelie’s bar and hitting the drink pretty hard. Annelie takes care of Lukas, and one thing leads to another, only she gets more than she’s bargained for the next day when she discovers that Lukas is an angel!

Lukas doesn’t give up on Annelie though. He’s determined to prove both his innocence and his love for her, so he sets about convincing her to come with him to Paris to see Apollyon, who could just help him with both matters.

Is there any detail that hasn´t made it in your book that you can share?

Not really. Each book helps in terms of building the world around these angels. There is a secret I can share though… my muse is insisting that I write a novel in the series, and it’ll be out next year!

You´re also the author of several other paranormal stories. Could you tell us something about them?

I love writing paranormal romances. At the moment, I have several stand alone works, mostly featuring vampires or werewolves. I also have a vampire romance series called Vampires Realm. It’s great fun writing that series as I love to world build, and I love being able to bring in characters from other stories, and hint at future stories too. Paranormal romance is my first love, although I do write science fiction too… even then I manage to bring in vampires!

Would you say that your mood has an influence on your writing and the story in general?

Yes, it does, greatly. I often listen to certain types of music in order to provoke the right emotional response as I write a lot from my heart, so I have to be feeling it. I’ve always said that I’m a method writer. I live the book as I write it, and feel what the characters do, so I can make it all seem more real to the reader.

Where do you get your inspiration from? Music, books, TV shows or real life?

Everything inspires me. It can be music, tv, books, snippets of conversations I’ve overheard, absolutely anything. All it takes is one tiny thing to get the muse working!

How does your typical writing day look like? Do you have a special routine?

I work full time, so I basically cram writing in to my train journey to and from work, and my lunch time. Any spare minute that I can get. If I could write full time, I would. Maybe one day I’ll be fortunate enough to be able to do that. At the moment though, my writing day starts the moment I set foot on the 6:50am train!

Did you ever have a writer´s block? If so, what did you do to deal with it?

Sometimes I have writer’s funk. I don’t get blocked, but I do get negative about a story, and feel it’s total rubbish. I get over that by reading the story back from start to where I’d reached, and that usually clears it. I can also get writer’s procrastination when I hit a scene that I haven’t quite thought about and it just isn’t working for me. The cure to that one is sitting down and planning it out. As soon as I’ve done that, I feel I can write it without a hitch.

north-and-south-coverTell us something about your favourites:
Favourite authors?
Terry Pratchett, Charlotte Bronte, Elizabeth Gaskell, Jane Austen, among others. Yes, not many paranormal authors in that list! I do like paranormal romances, but can’t say that any are my favourite authors.
favourite paranormal creature? vampires
favourite all time hero/heroine? John Thornton and Margaret Hale in North and South
Which one do you prefer, book or e-reader? Sadly, I have to say book. But I don’t own an e-reader.
favourite distraction? anime

Did you ever have a major computer catastrophy/problem during writing? And how many back-up copies do you usually have?

I switch between my computer, my laptop, and my netbook. I’m normally pretty good at keeping the files in check, and have only lost work once or twice. Normally I have a back up on my netbook, so I don’t lose too much.

Is there a book you love above all? One that had a great influence on you or your life?

I love Jane Eyre and Persuasion, and North & South… yeah, not paranormal romances, but I grew up reading a mixture of horror and classic romance.
shades of midnight

A question that is inspired by another interview I did with an author: If you would be Superman, what would be your kryptonite?

My ultimate weakness? Chocolate is my kryptonite, although the only adverse effects it has are on my waistline!

What are you reading at the moment/planning to read/waiting for to be released?

Does editing count? I’m not reading anything right now. I might be able to squeeze in some reading over Christmas and then it’s going to be Shades of Midnight by Lara Adrian.
And finally: Is there anything you want to say to your/my readers?

Thank you for buying my books, for giving me a chance to write them, and for being there for me. I appreciate everything you do for me, and I write for you.

Thanks Felicity for stopping by and answering all my questions! Please come back anytime you want! I´d love to have you over again!

Now, if you want to learn more abour Felicity and her works, check out the links below! And don´t forget, the next book in the series, Her Fallen Angels has been released!

Website: http://www.felicityheaton.co.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/felicityheaton
Blog: http://felicityheaton.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/feheaton

2 comments:

Savannah said...

This book look interesting. I love the synopsis of it. Nice interview :)

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Dooood, I haven't been here in too long Tina, I love the new header. So cool.

Great interview. I hadn't heard of these books so I'm glad to know more. I think I will check them out.